Your first contact with the Court will be with the Court Registry. The Court Registry is where all documents relating to a case in the Court are filed. If you have a procedural question about your case, you can contact Registry staff who can:
- assist you with finding forms and court lists
- explain court processes and procedures
- explain legal phrases or terms, rules and practices
- give information about how the Victorian court system works
- provide general instructions to complete court forms
- provide suggestions for other agencies that can give legal advice.
Court staff cannot:
- give you legal advice
- complete court forms on your behalf
- give advice about specific arguments you should make in court or give an opinion on what to say at a court hearing
- speak with the magistrate or Judge on your behalf
- give information to one party that they would not give the opposing party.